Many UH students spend free hours and cram time, tetsuya, gathered to listen to the dharma and enjoy fellowship, adult education, & cooperative programs with UH Department of Religion, Weekly lectures and Special Guests & Lectures.
On August 18, 1972 the Buddhist Study Center at 1424 University Avenue officially opened its doors to the public. It had three primary goals. First was to provide a student center to encourage and facilitate student interest in Buddhism through fellowship and informal exchange. Second was to provide a study center and library to encourage serious study and research of Jodo Shinshu Buddhism. Third was to design and effectuate a ministerial training program. In October of 1972 the first issue of METTA, BSC's monthly dharma publication was produced.
The beginnings of BSC coincided with the atmosphere of fresh and renewed interest in Jodo Shinshu in Hawaii. This was the result of the 1973 Kamakura Symposium two months of outstanding Buddhist lectures, panel discussions and a traveling seminar to Oahu and neighbor island temples, co-sponsored by the University of Hawaii and the Buddhist community.
BSC is not only a bridge to the bright second-century future of Hawaii Kyodan, it is an east/west link the will help spread the dharma of nembutsu around the world, a link made possible by the generous dana of Lotus, Wisteria and In Memoriam donors from throughout Hawaii Kyodan. To all donors and to those whose gift has been unstinting time and energy, our mahalo nui loa. Your continuing generosity and support is essential to the success of this new Buddhist Study Center.