Attention Kauai “foodies” and “locovores…” eat your hearts out at the All Local Meal Contest, part if the Hawaii Healing Garden Festival, August 22, 2009. Held at the Kilohana Plantation in Lihue at 2 PM, it’s a culinary celebration of the delicious food available right on Kauai!
Chefs – both amateur & professional – are invited to showcase their skills and vie for the People’s Choice award and accompanying prizes. Entry deadline extended to August 17.
The Healing Garden Festival runs from 10 AM – 6 PM and is deliciously full of activities for the whole family, educational presentations, and vendors showcasing healthy & green products and services. The presenting sponsor is www.HawaiiHealthGuide.com and the presenter of the All Local Meal Contest is the new Green Business Directory.
See official entry rules below.
Tickets for contest sampling will be available for purchase for $10 on the day of the festival. Come early - only 100 tickets will be sold!
Special supporters of the All Local Meal Contest:
John Armand of Eat Local, Live Longer monthly potlucks
Robin Torquati of Regenerations Botanical Garden
Green Business Directory on Hawaii Health Guide
Edible Hawaiian Islands Magazine
Richard Diamond of the Kauai Museletter – the Heartbeat of Kauai
Prizes by Payapas, Hoku Whole Foods, AVEDA spa, and MORE!
GUIDELINES AND RULES FOR ENTRY
HAWAII HEALING GARDEN
All LOCAL MEAL CONTEST
August 22, 2 PM
(Festival is all day 10 AM – 6 PM)
Kilohana Plantation, Lihue
Thank you for participating! Our intention with this contest is to celebrate local food and to inspire participants to partake of the abundance that our island has to offer. With this in mind, the here is how it will be judged:
2) % of locally grown ingredients (Kauai-grown will be given higher priority over other island-grown ingredients)
3) % of organic ingredients
5) Whether preparation was by a certified green business.
You can enter in the following categories:
6) Medicinal Elixir (A fruit, vegetable, or herbal combination with a medicinal use.)
Rules and Guidelines
1) Make enough for 100 bite sized pieces. (We expect about 2,000 people at the festival, but will be offering only 100 “People’s Choice” ballots.)
2) Due to health department rules, food must be prepared in a certified kitchen. We have space available, donated by Cafe Coco in Wailua.
3) There is no kitchen facility available on-site. You must come 100% self-sufficient. Bring your own coolers, heating units, etc. There is a sink you can use for washing.
4) You must let us know what you are planning to make by 8/17/09.
5) The entry fee is now FREE! Donations are welcome to Hawaii Healing Garden Festivals, PO Box 562, Haleiwa, HI 96712. Or pay online via Paypal (credit card). Please note it’s for the All Local Meal Contest.
6) This is a Zero Waste event. Please use only biodegradeable or washable utensils, serving containers.
7) You are welcome to display your business card or marketing materials. You will have a 2-3 foot wide display space per dish you enter.
8) Please arrive by 1 PM (or earlier to enjoy the festival!) and be ready to serve the food by 2 PM.
1. Gift certificates and merchandise valued at over $500, including: Hoku Whole Foods and Papayas gift certificates, black pearl earrings, a spa treatment at Aveda Spa, and MORE! Runners up will receive a custom Kauai-made wooden cutting board.
2. Great Press Coverage via HawaiiHealthGuide.com and various local print media outlets.
ALL LOCAL RECIPE BOOK
You are welcome to submit your recipe for an upcoming All-local Recipe book. Of course, we understand if it’s proprietary information!
Consult Robin Torquati for recommendations on where to get what. Several local farms have also generously offered to donate produce to chefs for this contest.
HOW TO ENTER
Email to John Armand at jstern1028 @ yahoo.com by August 17, 2009:
Business Name (if applicable):
Category & Dish Title (List all separately):
Preparation Facility (note if you require us to provide certified kitchen space):
Your phone & email address:
For chef entries & questions, John Stern jstern1028 @ yahoo.com or 631-8424